Yellow Boy’s Polish Boy’s

9 Jul

polish boy sandwich columbus, street food columbus

Cuisine: Ummm, Clevelandish?
Twitter: @yellowpolishboy
Facebook

If you’re not from Cleveland, then you’re probably unaware of the existence of a sandwich called a ‘Polish Boy’ – a grilled Kielbasa sausage in a bun with french fries, coleslaw and BBQ or hot sauce. And, before trying Yellow Boy’s, we had no idea about ’em either

Nonetheless, so great is this sandwich’s cult following in Cleveland that Chef Michael Symon picked a Polish Boy as his choice for the Food Network show ‘The Best Thing I Ever Ate.’

kielbasa sandwich

Marcus Spivey, the owner of Yellow Boy’s, is a genial OSU grad from Cleveland who spent much of his time at Ohio State lamenting the fact that he couldn’t find a Polish Boy sandwich in Columbus. After years spent wishing that someone would open a Polish Boy restaurant he decided to take the plunge himself. Now, thanks to Marcus, transplanted Clevelanders (and of course anyone else) craving kielbasa can get their fix on the streets of Columbus.

columbus ohio food cart

As you can see from the photo, this is one hot mess of a sandwich… and we mean that affectionately. Marcus provides napkins, you’ll definitely want to accept the offer.

Marcus drives up to Cleveland to get his kielbasa sausages, splits and grills them. He makes his own sweet coleslaw and uses pre-cooked oven fries. The bun and french fries soak up both the juices from the coleslaw and – to our minds, the highlight of the sandwich – Marcus’s secret recipe BBQ sauce. The BBQ sauce is tangy, a little vinegary, has some heat, and pulls the whole thing together. Yellow Boy’s Polish Boy is $5 well spent, especially as it includes a free bottle of water.

At the moment Marcus is mainly doing Friday late night shifts in the Short North and the occasional special event. Once school starts in the fall, you’ll probably find him on OSU campus. Follow him on twitter for location updates.

Advertisements

11 Responses to “Yellow Boy’s Polish Boy’s”

1. Michael Ketchup Hines July 9, 2011 at 12:00 pm #

That’s great publicity. Keep up good work Marcus.

2. Desiree (HIS SISTER) July 9, 2011 at 12:34 pm #

Hey you are doing a great job. The sandwich looks awesome and I’m ready to eat now.

3. marcus July 9, 2011 at 8:27 pm #

Thanks Mike! and Thank sis. I appreciate the love and support!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• CHERYL July 26, 2011 at 8:04 pm #

OMG! WOW THAT POLISH BOY LOOKS SO GOOD! I HAVENT SEEN ONE THAT BIG IN A LONG TIME. ITS MAKING ME HUNGRY. U GO BOY DO YOUR THING. GOOD LUCK!

4. susan,linton July 31, 2011 at 8:40 am #

hey marcus , i grew up eating polish boy,s i love them and they look so good making me want one lol keep up the good work your uncle larry said he wan,t one!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Maileika August 26, 2011 at 10:48 am #

I from Cleveland and although i’m vegan now, i grew up eating polish boys. I make vegan polish boys at home all the time using tofurky kielbasa. I just want to say thanks for reppin Cleveland because even though i live in Columbus and i’m vegan, i still gotta have my polish boys!!!!

• Randy B Linville June 22, 2014 at 2:40 pm #

I would like to know where I can get a real Cleveland style polish boy here in Columbus

6. Jacci Brown (Jackie) October 3, 2012 at 10:43 pm #

I am from Cleveland, OH too. Hey buckkeye! I am doing the same thing here in California. I am a teacher and on the side I sell Polish Boys and Corned Beef on Rye.
    Jacce

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Show Notes – 10/08/11: Street Food in Columbus | WCBE FOODCAST - October 8, 2011

[…] Yellow Boys Polish Boys – a Cleveland kielbasa sandwich […]

2. Kolache Republic « Street Eats Columbus - November 17, 2011

[…] were craving kolaches and couldn’t find them in Columbus. Unfulfilled food cravings seems a common food business initiator. Kolache Republic now make over 30 varieties of sweet and savory kolache to […]

3. WSOTP stadium guide: columbus’ crew stadium | Wrong Side of the Pond - June 20, 2013

[…] about the stadium for something different, you can also munch on Columbus-native White Castle and Yellow Boy’s Polish Boys sausages (both available on Crew Kicker Plaza on the South side of the stadium), as well national […]