My Snappy Wagon

18 Aug

Location (? – believed to be Closed) – (last seen) parking lot of Columbus Gold – 5411 Bethel / Sawmill Center
Hours – Thursday, Friday and Saturday 9 PM to 2:00 AMish…maybe later depends on business at Columbus Gold

Something about Street Food and Strip Clubs seems like a good fit. Maybe it is the availability of $1 bills for change. Regardless on where you land on that statement, I think a thanks is deserved to Columbus Gold Gentleman’s Club for giving a new businessman a chance.

Raafat is the proud owner of My Snappy Wagon. It is called Snappy because service is quick. Raafat is of Egyptian roots with sidetrips in other countries and states before he landed in Columbus. He has years of restaurant experience. While working for others he has always dreamed of having his own business. In early July 2010, he opened his cart to the world.

His menu is diverse as his background: subs, Gyros, hot dogs, Chicken Tacos, Hamburgers, salad and a few fried sides – okra, jalapeno peppers, onion rings and fries. Snappy Wagon is a one man show with Raafat grilling away. His signature item is Snappy Fries: a plate of crisp, golden fries with ketchup, BBQ Sauce, malt vinegar and gyro/Snappy sauce. This is the perfect late night snack combining grease, carbs and a variety of flavors to wake up your taste buds. Raafat makes the snappy sauce himself so the ingredients are a trade secret.

Another signature item is his Philly Steak Sub. Any east coaster would look sideways and snort at the sight of this sub and proclaim it is not a true Philly sub, but if one thinks of Philly as a huge horse of a sandwich instead of Philly the city then this title is accurate. The sub is big, smells great, looks great and has plenty of steak heaped on it with lettuce, tomato, grilled green peppers and onions, mushrooms, cheese and gyro/snappy sauce. The photo below does not do the sandwich justice but the security guard at Columbus Gold swears by it and so did one of the customers standing in line with me who reported having consumed four or five of these to date.

Raafat is very proud of his food and his chance for a piece of the American dream. If you are out late at night in Northwest Columbus, drop in to see him for a sub and Snappy Fries. If you do not have a bunch of singles or need the cash for something else have no fear, My Snappy Wagon takes credit cards.

Raafat also knows a bit about presentation. For each foil wrapped treat he creates a bit of street art by forming one end as either swan or scorpion tail, I am not sure which but it does look nice.

Advertisements

12 Responses to “My Snappy Wagon”

1. Beth August 22, 2010 at 8:19 pm #

I had heard a rumor of a food truck in that plaza, but it had eluded me – I work very close to there – no, not the Vanity or Columbus Gold. Glad to hear it is not a rumor – looking forward to try. The salad with gyro meat sounds yummy!

2. Beth August 29, 2010 at 7:59 pm #

While I was not a fan of having to go to a strip club parking lot to try Snappy’s, I was warmly greated by the owner. His friend calls him Snappy, but the owner introduced himself as Raafat. While I did enjoy my gyro to go (did I mention the strip club?) the chicken sample Raafat gave was awesome and will be my next choice.

• MICKIE September 12, 2010 at 9:46 pm #

Before Going into Columbus Gold, I stopped by the Snappy Wagon for a bite to eat. I purchased the Philly Steak and fries, awesome. I took my food into the club to eat and befoe you know it I was back at the Snappy Wagon for more.

3. TeeTee September 19, 2010 at 4:27 pm #

I was out shopping in the area and smelled something wonderful. I was wondering where it came from, I spotted the Snappy Wagon and decided to pull in and try the food. The owner Mr. Snappy greeted me with a smile and gave me a sample of his chicken. Wow, it was the best chicken I ever ate. I ordered the chicken gyro and was amazed at the portion. The food was incredible and the owner friendly. The wagon was as spotless as the owner!

4. Tricia September 19, 2010 at 4:31 pm #

Ordered the philly steak sub and the snappy fries, the owner was very polite and the service was quick! The food was delicious and I would recomend it to anyone, stop by Mr. Snappy’s Wagon for a new treat.

5. Jaymee September 20, 2010 at 9:27 pm #

all I can say is MMMMMMMMM delicious.Snappy fries

• tacodrew September 21, 2010 at 8:42 am #

We can see your ip address… we get it, you like My Snappy Wagon. No need to post it again and again.

6. Jyoti February 23, 2011 at 11:24 am #

The Gyros are awesome there…we have tried it number of times now….We have even tries the veggie wrap and it is very good…Last time we tried Kababs with rice and it was yummyyyyy….I would definitely recommend it to anyone…Foood is very very nice and tasty

7. cousin carl April 3, 2011 at 1:39 am #

Where u @? Im hunry!!!

8. shreya September 6, 2011 at 11:28 pm #

woooo i finally found a website dedicated to SNAPPY,, this guy is awsum and his food i still miss in India. Nothing in the world can beat his taste and sply the CHICKEN WINGS which are mind blowing.
    Being an India, I love spicy food and this guy used to customise it for us by putting extra flakes and extra spicy Hot Sauce.
    Iam getting the taste, I wish could fly to Columbus right away.

Love u Snappy,

Your India friends….

9. Matt Mullen July 7, 2014 at 8:31 pm #

Where is this guy? I miss his food he is no longer by vanity and cols gold

• cmh gourmand July 10, 2014 at 7:00 am #

Hi Matt, No idea what happened but hope he is well, he was a really nice person.